Research into nutrition and health at the CEICS is conducted by research groups at the university, the hospitals and, for the last few years, at the Pere Virgili Institute for Health Research.The university has approximately 20 research groups in the departments of:
Futhermore, multidisciplinary, high-quality research groups from the URV form part of CRAMC, the Behaviour Evaluation and Measurement Research Centre.
A technology park for research into nutrition and health
Initiatives focusing on nutritional research have arisen around the Tecnoparc in Reus, particularly regarding aspects relating to functional foods. The park is now undergoing a process of expansion and is the new location of Sant Joan University Hospital. One of the structures located in the park, the Technology Centre for Nutrition and Health, is devoted to research and development and transfer projects to find tools to produce and demonstrate the healthy properties of functional foods. The strategy based on functional foods requires cooperation between businesses, not only interactions among food companies, but also among enterprises involved in biotechnologies, pharmaceuticals and chemicals, etc.
A benchmark institute in healthcare research
The leading Catalan research institute in the area of health, the Pere Virgili Institute for Health Research (IISPV) is a key component of this hub of knowledge and research. Hospitals, the university and the institute itself have research staff, research groups and infrastructure that are now managed from this institute, which promotes research in the healthcare and biomedical fields. Its strategic lines of research focus on:
- Obesity, metabolic diseases and cardiovascular risks
- Oncology and haematology
- Neurosciences and mental health
- Health and environment
- Clinical innovation
The Institute for Research and Technology in Food and Agriculture (IRTA) is one of the research structures of the CEICS. The IRTA has a centre in Reus focusing exclusively on olive cultivation, olive oil and nut production and animal nutrition. It also has a centre in Sant Carles de la Ràpita for aquaculture and an experimental station on the River Ebro. The institute has research centres for the food sector distributed throughout Catalonia.
- Find out about this institute working on research into food, agriculture, agroforestry, aquaculture and fishing
Research into nutrition and health at the CEICS
The university, hospitals and research institutes that make up the CEICS each have consolidated groups conducting research exclusively into nutrition and health.
- Information on groups doing research into Basic medical sciences, Medicine and surgery, Biochemistry and biotechnology and Nursing:
- Biomedical Research Unit
- Cellular Pharmacobiology
- Research Group in Applied Medical Hospital Joan XXIII
- Food, Nutrition, Growth and Mental Health
- Nutrition and Mental Health
- Nutrigenomics Research Group
- Laboratory of Toxicology and Environmental Health
- Research Unit on Lipids and Atherosclerosis
- Research Unit on Paediatrics, Nutrition and Human Development
- Yanes Lab
- The Pere Virgili Institute for Health Research has research structures in:
- IRTA has research groups in different fields.
- Information on CRAMC, a research centre specializing in the generation of instruments for the assessment and measurement of behaviour.
The CEICS has different services that will help manage your research.
- Access the research support platform of the IISPV.
- The URV offers a research support service.
- Scientific and Technical Resource Service Human resources and technical equipment to facilitate research
- Techniques available for your research
- Research support services
- Do you want to be an IISPV researcher or join a research group?
- The CEICS has a unique metabolomics platform that supports research groups