Tarragona and its surrounding area constitute a solid cluster in the fields of chemistry and energy. The region's petrochemical industrial estate is the largest in Spain and the most important in southern Europe and the area boasts two active nuclear power plants. A network has arisen around this productive sector that starts with the teaching programmes offered by the university, continues through the consolidation of recognized research groups, and culminates with the creation of research and innovation centres that transfer knowledge to the business community.
Training at all levels
The education and training that students receive cover their needs at all stages of the learning and experimentation process. The URV offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes that are complemented by lifelong learning courses in the areas of chemistry and energy.
The university, the Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia (ICIQ) and the Chemical Technology Centre of Catalonia (CTQ) form a strong core of research and knowledge transfer for the Campus of International Excellence Southern Catalonia (CEICS). These organizations enjoy the collaboration of internationally renowned experts who, beyond their research work, are members of the teaching staff of the university and research centres.
And in energy, the Catalonia Institute for Energy Research (IREC) and the Mestral Technology Centre, located near the nuclear power plants, round off the training and research in this area, with environmental sustainability as one of the fundamental bases of their mission.
Professional master's programmes: academic or research tracks
Specialize in any branch of chemistry. You can choose from among several official master's programmes, some of which are organized by the URV in conjunction with other universities and research institutes, such as ICIQ.
Information on official master's programmes in chemistry and energy:
- Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering
- Master's Degree in Nanoscience, Materials and Engineering
- Master's Degree in Air-Conditioning Technologies and Energy Efficiency in Buildings
- Master's Degree in Synthesis, Catalysis and Molecular Design
- Master's Degree in Applied Chromatographic Techniques
- Master's Degree in Environmental Engineering and Sustainable Production
- Master's Degree in Research in Fluid Thermodynamics Engineering
Information on all CEICS official master's programmes.
If you are interested in continuing your academic career and want to train in advanced research techniques in the fields of chemistry and energy, the URV offers the chance to do your postgraduate studies within different doctoral programmes.
All the doctoral programmes in chemistry and energy:
- Doctoral Programme in Science and Chemical Technology [EXC]
- Doctoral Programme in Air-conditioning Technologies and Energy Efficiency in Buildings
- Doctoral Programme in Chemical, Environmental and Process Engineering [EXC]
- Doctoral Programme in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Doctoral Programme in Research in Fluid Thermodynamics Engineering
Find out about all CEICS doctoral programme options.
[EXC] Doctoral Programme awarded with Mention to Excellence by the Ministry of Education.
Undergraduate programmes adapted to the European Higher Education Area
Begin your university education. If you are interested in the areas of chemistry and energy, the URV lets you enrol on a bachelor's programme that will open up a wide range of possibilities for research and work in this sector.
Find out if any of the undergraduate degrees in chemistry and energy meet your objectives:
Information on all URV undergraduate degree options.
Reinforce your training
During the academic year the CEICS organizes seminars and conferences with experts that will complement and improve your knowledge. You can also enrol in specialist university and master's degree programmes or refresh your skills or specialize in your profession through university extension courses.
- Find out about current training options organized by:
- Have a look at the planned ICIQ seminars for this year
- The URV Foundation offers: