Catalonia has a wealth of archaeological remains, partly due to its important role in Greek colonization and the political and cultural expansion of Rome to the west, but also because of the cultural impact this had on the local people. The counties of Tarragona make up one of the focal points of these historic processes of antiquity, and the archaeological wealth that these counties hold requires diligent research work for its study, interpretation and cultural exploitation.
Its impressive historic-artistic heritage makes Tarragona an open-air museum that has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In addition to local research institutes, Tarragona is also home to companies that specifically carry out archaeological and heritage conservation works. An extensive network of historic, archaeological and art museums can be found in the different cities in the area of influence of the Campus of International Excellence Southern Catalonia (CEICS), as well as internationally important landmarks, such as the Poblet Monastery.
This cultural setting offers many employment possibilities in the study or conservation of all these cultural treasures. The conservation, refurbishment and recovery of this environment require on-going activities that comprise a significant source of study and employment for researchers.
Make research your job
The CEICS research structures are also an important source of employment for people who wish to make a career of research. Archaeologists, geological historians, biologists and botanists, among others, can find a place to do research within the CEICS research structures: at Rovira i Virgili University (URV), the Catalan Institute of Classical Archaeology (ICAC) or the Institute of Human Palaeoecology and Social Evolution (IPHES).
Browse jobs at the CEICS
- The URV and the research institutes have a job bank to help graduates and researchers find work in the area of heritage and culture.
- Find the job that best matches your profile at the CEICS job bank
- Access information about the Costa Daurada and Terres de l'Ebre and check out the cultural heritage of the regions of Tarragona where you can work.
- Find out about heritage management, conservation and promotion companies here:
- If you'd like to start your own business, you can get help throughout the process here
- In the report on the management of the URV job bank you can browse the jobs on offer linked to heritage and culture programmes.