The Heritage and Culture cluster of the Campus of International Excellence Southern Catalonia (CEICS) strengthens and promotes the wealth of historic and cultural heritage in the area. The setting of the CEICS on the Mediterranean coast makes it an ideal place for training and working in this sector. Three of the six heritage sites in Catalonia recognized by UNESCO are in the knowledge region of the south of the autonomous community:
- The archaeological ensemble of Tarraco
- Rock art, comprising an arch between the south and north-east of the region
- The Poblet Monastery
Prehistory and archaeology
Rovira i Virgili University (URV) offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in history and art history, and along with other universities and research institutes, it has designed a catalogue of internationally recognized master's degrees, such as the master's in quaternary archaeology and human evolution and the master's in classical archaeology. Archaeology and prehistory are both areas of excellence of the CEICS.
The outstanding educational opportunities offered in these areas is buttressed by two leading research institutes:
- The Institute of Human Palaeoecology and Social Evolution (IPHES)
- The Catalan Institute of Classical Archaeology (ICAC)
Mediterranean culture and heritage
The URV also houses the headquarters of the Euromed Permanent University Forum, an association of universities that aims to create a research and higher education area and to promote cooperation and dialogue between the educational institutions of the European Union, from the eastern and southern Mediterranean countries.
Postgraduate training: master's programmes
The Heritage and Culture Sub-Campus of the CEICS offers specialist interuniversity master's degrees.
Find out about the official heritage and culture master's degrees organized in conjunction with research institutes, universities and other national and international institutions:
- Master's Degree in Quaternary Archaeology and Human Evolution (Erasmus Mundus)
- Master's Degree in Classical Archaeology
- Master's Degree in Artistic Heritage and Cultural Cooperation
- Master's Degree in Euro-Mediterranean Relations
Postgraduate training: doctoral programmes
If you are interested in advanced training and learning about research techniques, the CEICS makes doctoral programmes of recognized prestige available to you.
- All doctoral programmes in heritage and culture:
Browse all the doctoral programme options
[EXC] Doctoral Programme awarded with Mention to Excellence by the Ministry of Education.
Begin your studies with the official CEICS degree programmes linked to heritage and culture.
The following bachelor's programmes will form the basis for acquiring knowledge in this field and will open doors to continue your research or professional career.
- Bachelor's in history
- Bachelor's in art history
- Undergraduate Degree in Anthropology and Human Evolution
- Browse all URV bachelor's degree options
Throughout the course, CEICS participants in the area of heritage and culture organize seminars with leading experts in the field. Students can also enrol on URV-specific master's programmes or specialist university courses to become specialists in one facet of their profession or refresh their skills on university extension courses.
- Find information on current training options at the Faculty of Arts
- Find out about the dissemination and training activities of the Catalan Institute of Classical Archaeology (ICAC)
- Find out about the dissemination and training activities of the Institute of Human Palaeo-Ecology and Social Evolution (IPHES)