The wine sector has been the focus of increasing interest from both the business world and consumers alike. The counties of Tarragona make up a region rife with possibilities and constitute a significant part of the Catalan winemaking sector.
Harmony between tradition and innovation
Winemaking is one of the oldest biotechnological processes in the world. But achieving a quality product requires good researchers and research teams prepared to deal with new challenges and increasing competition in the sector. Creating quality wines requires the right grape, a controlled fermentation process, the use of suitable materials and qualified professionals.
The CEICS research structure in the field of oenology
The integrated research structure of the Campus of International Excellence Southern Catalonia (CEICS) has made oenology a benchmark field with an international scope:
- Rovira i Virgili University (URV) research groups have been conducting research in this field for many years
- Research into oenology at the CEICS is directed through the Catalan Institute of Vines and Wines (INCAVI) and the Institute for Research and Technology in Food and Agriculture (IRTA)
- The Technology Park for the Wine Industry (VITEC) forms part of the applied research and technology transfer section of the campus and conducts innovative research projects
CEICS research groups undertake research projects in areas including viticulture, oenological biotechnology and the technology of wine fermentations, making them part of a unique and benchmark centre in Spain.
CEICS research structures
- URV research groups are involved in research projects in:
- INCAVI is the Catalan government institute for the study, promotion and monitoring of the Catalan wine sector
- IRTA is involved in research into precision viticulture, support irrigation, plant pathology and assessment of wine residues
Priorat wine innovation
Discover VITEC, a unique centre for technological innovation in winemaking
Find all the information you need at the URV research management service
- Scientific and Technological Resource Service Human resources and technical equipment to support research
- Techniques available for your research at the CEICS
- Research support services and programmes